Friday, April 27, 2012

My Yum Yum List

Did you know? Eating every 3-4 hours is key in not overeating later in the day/night...and it keeps your metabolism steady and burning all day.

I thought maybe I'd post a few of the things I like to snack on with the hopes that you'll get some encouragement to eat light as we approach summer...

                                                                            ...and I'm hoping for some new ideas too!

So read on and be sure to comment with your favorite Yum Yum snack! :)

Shakeology Balls--recipe from Chalene Johnson's Push book!
1 cup PB2 (another GREAT secret--Powdered peanut butter with 85% of the fat removed! AWESOME!)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I use Trader Joe's that is full of flax seeds!)
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 scoop Chocolate Shakeology powder
Stevia, Truvia sweetener to taste

Mix all in bowl. Wet hands and form into ping-pong size balls. Place in wax paper in fridge...or enjoy write off your fingers! YUM!

2 balls are only 135 calories! SCORE!!

Amy's Healthy Ice Cream--okay, this isn't really ice cream, but it's so good, you can fool yourself!

1 cup Fage Greek yogurt
1 cup frozen red raspberries
Stevia/Truvia sweetener to taste

Tons of protein, no fat and just 209 calories for a huge bowlful!

Carrots and Hummus
Just what it sounds like...I used to dip whole wheat pita chips in hummus, but have recently been backing off on my "breads" and am just as satisfied with carrots in my hummus dip! Mini carrots are more fun too!

Depending on your hummus, anywhere from 35-70 calories for 2 Tablespoons of hummus and another 35 calories for 3 ounces of carrots.

Ends and Pieces from Trader Joe's
The 100% dried fruit bars need to be trimmed into their perfect shapes...what do they do with all those leftover edges? They bag them up in "Ends and Pieces!" You never know what flavor fruit you'll get and they are so healthy!!

4-5 pieces for 100 calories.

Tony Horton's Sticky Bar from Bring It! by Tony Horton
1/2 banana
1/2 cup lean healthy cereal (Kashi Go Lean is what I've used)
1 heaping tablespoon crunchy almond or peanut butter (natural)
Mash all together in a bowl. Roll mixture into a bar. Freeze.  Zap on high 20 seconds in your microwave when you are ready to enjoy!

Calorie count? 215.

Apple and Almond Butter
What a great snack the combination of the sweet apple and stick-to-your-ribs of almond butter! I measure out 1 tablespoon of Almond butter and dip 1/2 an apple (wedged) in for a filling and healthy snack!

Calories in this combination usually run about 145.

Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
This new member of the Shakeology family has me smitten! I prefer it to both Greenberry and Chocolate and have lots of favorite ways to make it. Recently, I've indulged in a cup of skim milk, 2 tablespoons of walnuts and a dash of cinnamon. HEAVEN!

Just in water and ice it comes in at just 160 calories. Slurp!!

Kale Chips
Oh my wow!! How can you get more greens in your diet? Like THIS! Buy a head of kale...wash and dry WELL. Tear off the main stem and lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake for 18 -20 mins in a 300 degree oven. YOU WILL BE AMAZED! They melt in your mouth the way cotton candy does! They taste a bit like a potato chip, but remember you are eating a green vegetable. Try it! If you don't make them right the first time, TRY AGAIN! I bombed my first try and the second left them begging for more! (My littles and I ate an entire head of kale in one sitting!)

P90X Protein Bars
I have always ordered the variety box, but have settled currently on the Chocolate Fudge variety. Since this is a processed food, I eat these sparingly. But they are so yummy and a great grab-and-go treat!

One bar is 20 grams of protein (WOW!) and 260 calories.

Dried fruit
Dried fruit is great for the road! I love apricots and apples in particular. Craisins are another favorite--just watch the portion size!

With dried apples 10 rings are just 110 calories. With Cranberries, just 1/4 cup can be 140 calories!

Nuts
I'm nuts for nuts! This is heart healthy fats that taste delish and fill you up! My favs are walnuts, almonds, cashews and pistachios. Raw and unsalted are my preference. Eating too much salt makes you retain water. Boo!

Be VERY careful with your portion size! Just a 1/4 cup can be 200 calories. It's easy peasy to overeat on nuts, so measure them out before your hunger strikes!

What are YOUR favorite snacks?
Comment below and share your ideas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...