One of the sweetest women who SHINES JESUS is in my Sunday school class at church.
She has come through A LOT in her life.
She has suffered at the hands of evil longer than I can believe is possible. Yet her very face radiates love, peace and true joy.
She is a life changed by Jesus.
And she is a constant encouragement to those of us who know her. (And really, I don't know her well, but I am drawn to Jesus in her...He is strong, powerful and so present. The way she radiates His love makes you want what she has!)
Today, she led our class discussion on the 23rd Psalm.
She shared about a class she took that encouraged everyone to pray this psalm aloud 5 times a day for thirty days...and see if it changed their lives.
She did this upon waking, at breakfast, at lunch, dinner and before bed. She admitted that after awhile it became too rote for her...so she began to pray it aloud weaving other Scripture into it.
The result changed her life.
She continues to pray this Psalm...embellished with other Scriptures...on her way to a challenging job. If you heard about her job you would think she had the most important job in the universe the way she talks...but in reality she's working with difficult children from the vantage point kitchen in a school setting.
She reminds me of Brother Lawrence.
(if you don't know about him worshiping God while washing dishes, you MUST go read him!)
Then, she offered to allow us listen to her 23rd Psalm prayer...
...and oh my it was glorious! Beautiful. Like a bird taking a thread and fluttering through the Scriptures weaving and folding them together in a most heart-binding way.
And what is so cool...this is not a static version. She testified that the Spirit changes the Psalm based prayer with different verses that come into play as her life needs change.
A Scripture weaving.
And in a bold move, I asked her if I might have a copy of what she read to us...so I could study her method and begin to do it myself. She blushed and kindly obliged. I then stepped out and asked her if I might share it with you...and again she said yes.
I give you the most beautiful Scripture weave from Stephanie:
"(1) Oh, my Abba Father, Jesus my Savior and Redeemer, and sweet Holy Spirit, my comfort, my counsel, my encourager, my ever present help (Ps 46:1)...Lord, you are my Shepherd, and therefore I shall not be in want.
(2) You make me lie down in green pastures Lord where I find rest in You. You lead me beside quiet waters where I can be still and know that you are God. (Ps 46:10)
(3) You restore my soul. You have given back what the enemy has stolen from me, and given me life in abundance. (John 10:10) Thank you, Father, that you lead me in the paths of righteousness that I might bring glory to your name. Your Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Ps 119:105) Hallelujah!
(4) Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not fear evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff bring comfort and protection to me in Jesus' name.
Praise you Father for your promise to never leave me nor forsake me. (Joshua 1:5)
You are my strong tower (Ps 61:3), my strength and my shield. Thank you for the promise that if you are for me, there is none who can stand against me in Jesus' name! (Romans 8:31) Praise you that no weapon formed against me shall prosper in the mighty name of Jesus! (Isaiah 54:17) Oh, the weapons will come, I know Lord, but they have no power over me. Thank you for sending Jesus that I would have victory in this life! (Romans 8:37) According to your Word, you send your holy warriors on my behalf because my battles are won in the spirit realm rather than in this carnal world. (2 Corinthians 10:3-4; Ephesians 6:12-13)
(5) You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. On that table Lord, you present me with the spiritual armor I need. (Ephesians 6) Thank you for the helmet of salvation. I pray it would protect my eyes and ears from that which is not of you. I pray it would protect my mouth from saying anything that is not noble. Give to me a sound and renewed mind today Lord (Ephesians 4:23), and help me to take my thoughts captive to the obedience of the mind of Christ against anything that would exalt itself. (2 Corinthians 10:5) Thank you for the breastplate of righteousness that protects my heart and my spirit. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Ps 51:10) Thank you for the shield of faith that protects me from the arrows of doubt, fear, anxiety, depression and discouragement. Your belt of truth binds me together and holds my armor in place. Guide me Father to apply your truth, your Word, your love letter in all things that come my way today. You have given me the sword of your Holy Spirit which is ultimately your Word going forth. And I wear the boots that carry me in the way that I should go. Remind me always that I can do all things through Jesus Christ who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
You anoint my head with oil; healing oil, and the oil of gladness. (Isaiah 61:3) You have given beauty for the ashes of my brokenness. Hallelujah! My cup is overflowing with your goodness!
(6) Surely it will follow me all the days of my life! Each and every morning Lord, your mercies are new! (Ps 136:1) Thank you Father! I dwell in peace that reaches far beyond my understanding. (Philippians 4:6-7) Your grace Father God, is more than sufficient for me, and makes me strong in my weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9) Hallelujah! I am covered in your unconditional agape love. Help me Father, to love and forgive others as you have loved and forgiven me. My heart is filled with your unspeakable joy! (I Peter 1:8) Yes and Amen!! And Father, thank you for the hope of Jeremiah 29:11, that you have plans for me; plans to prosper me in the things of you, and not to harm me; plans to grant me hope and a future...above all to spend eternity with you. Lord, you also said in Isaiah 40:31, that if I wait upon you, you would renew my strength as on the wings of eagles who rise aove the storms, tha tI would runa nd not grow weary, and that I would walk and not faint. Help me to run the race you have set before me that I would finish it well. I pray that my life would be a reflection of You, and a preparation of praise and worship when you one day call me home to dwell with you in your kingdom forever.
Praise the Lord!
I cannot imagine how different my own days would be if I began them praying a Scripture weave like this! (Not every verse woven in was cited...but I included the ones she noted. I recognized much more!)
How would this impact your life if you took the 23rd Psalm and wove other Scriptures into it as He lead you?
Something else she said, was that often what God prepares the table with in verse 5 is different. Different Scriptures come to mind for the table for that day. On this particular day when she scribed this, she needed those weapons from Ephesians 6.
I LOVE that this process is DYNAMIC.
I hope this inspires you to begin praying a Scripture Weave too!